Monday, August 1, 2011

New York, New York

I am amazed how smoothly I am going through the NY section. After going through two interviews already, I am establishing a nice rhythm and structure. Because of the structure, my edits are happening easy and naturally.  And when I say naturally, I mainly mean that I am not forcing the conversations when I am editing everything together. I already know what I am looking for when I am putting the interviews together.  The way I am shaping the conversation is very simple ... I am just laying everything down on the timeline of Final Cut Pro.   I pretty much listen to all of the conversation from beginning to end without taking notes. There is no trick to it, but I think by listening to everything first before making notes, helps. Its probably a longer process, but it has helped me concentrate more on the interviews. I feel you are going to hear the interview more than once. If that's the case, make sure remember what is being said.

I let the talking influence my thoughts and how I approach my edits. Its obvious that I cannot use every conversation for my movie, but at least I can decide what conversation seems to be stronger than other conversations. To me... deciding what conversation is stronger then the other all depends on the theme of the film and how in-depth the conversation is, in which usually the in-depth conversation will help the theme of the film. Since I have various conversations on different topics, I pay attention how one leads to another and then I eliminate, add, and test. If it flows, then I just go with it. 

At this point, I figured out a structure that best suits my project.  Since NY is my third interview, it has been getting a lot easier to edit. What worked for me in the other two previous interviews is working out for my NY section.  I am aware things are going to change when I piece every interview together and make it a feature length film, but the style and structure of the film will not change.  And that structure has been already established. 

At the rate I am going, I should be done with my NY section in a few weeks or so.  I sure miss New York.  I really like that city.



That's it for now.

Junior Gonzalez
The Filmmaker

No comments:

Post a Comment